Thursday, January 13, 2011

Welcome

Welcome to my Love My Vehicle blog.

Love My Vehicle is my latest development project. You can view its progress by pointing your browser to http://lovemyvehicle.appspot.com/. I originally began posting about Love My Vehicle at http://jeff-schwartz.blogspot.com/2010/11/screenshots-of-love-my-vehicle-on-web.html but this will now be the home for all future articles dedicated to the product and the project. In addition, here is where I will be authoring future articles dedicated to its development progress as well as technical articles specifically focusing on the development stack I am using, namely Google App Engine and Google's GWT.

Love My Vehicle is software geared towards the following types of users:
  • Anyone who enjoys keeping detailed and accurate records about their vehicle's maintenance
  • Anyone who has to keep detailed and accurate record about one or more vehicles, such as a fleet manager for example.

Love My Vehicle is not service station software. There are already many fine products available that fully support a service station's needs and Love My Vehicle does not do that but it does provide similar features such as logging, tracking and notifications.

For instance, when a professional auto mechanic goes to work at his service station they will not use Love My Vehicle. But when that mechanic works on his own vehicle he will use Love My Vehicle. A fleet manager will use Love My Vehicle to manage a fleet of vehicles owned or operated by his company. Vehicle enthusiasts will use Love My Vehicle. Custom builders will use Love My Vehicle. The list goes on and on but here's a list of some of its main features:
  • Detailed and accurate tracking of pending scheduled maintenance by date and mileage
  • Sending expiration and pending schedules maintenance notifications to users via email and possibly SMS
  • Logging all maintenance performed on a vehicle including but not limited to the parts and fluids used
  • Logging all expenses associated with vehicle maintenance such as but not limited to maintenance costs, purchases and insurance
  • Tracking common expiration dates such as insurance policies and vehicle registrations
  • Detailed reporting for but not limited to maintenance history, pending maintenance, expenses incurred, etc.

The above list represents the feature set that will be included in the initial public release of the product but it is by no means all inclusive and many more features are planned for future releases. For instance, I would like to add some social web like aspects to it. I imagine giving users the ability to create their own profiles and project pages where they can showcase their work and allow other members to add their own comments.

So where am I now as far as development and implementation progress is concerned? I've designed and implemented the look and feel of the site and I have initially focused on implementing the application's core infrastructure which provides for the management of inventory lists such as vehicles, parts, fluids, purchases, insurance, etc. and once these are fully functional I will then turn to the implementation of maintenance logging and tracking and reporting.

Here are a few screen shots of Love My Vehicle as it now stands. Please note that these are images of a very early build and everything that you see may and probably will change to some degree:








No comments:

Post a Comment